Sunday, January 9, 2011

Musing on Aging

While in my 50s, I could still claim "middle age" even though there were a few merchants that extended me the "seniors" discount. As the 60th fast approaches, I realize that regardless of how much I may wish it otherwise, I am rolling over into the age of seniority and with it comes not inconsiderable wondering about what the pudits call "finishing well." I suspect that in order to finish well, one does not wait until the waning hours of their 50s to make their mark on the world...as it were, but will have pusued calling, be it family, friendships or career, with passion long before. The question before me now is, "Have I done that?" Will the Lord be saying, "Well done good and faithful servant?" Will my family speak with fondness of my commitment to them and their well being? Will my friends be glad that I was among them? Will my community be better because I have been a part of it?
I am not trolling for compliments, so please refrain from answering my musings. However, I do hope that my questions will cause some others to reflect, and if changes are needed, to redirect. In Psalm 90:12, the writer prays for the Lord to, "Teach us to number our days that we might get a heart of wisdom." (NIV) That would also be my prayer for each of you.

No comments: