Thursday, March 17, 2011

The Cattle on a Thousand Hills

Isn't it amazing how the specter of financial insecurity can begin to cause us to doubt?  We know in our minds that God wants the best for us.  We hear Jesus words in Matthew 6 assuring us that we are valuable to God and that we need not worry about provision of life's necessities. He admonishes us not to behave like pagans and go running after security, food and drink, and calls us instead to seek first the kingdom and let Him provide all those things for us.  And yet, when the pressure begins to mount, the very first thing we begin to do is worry, and cast around for a man-made financial solution, even though we know that it makes no spiritual sense....and we have been told specifically not to!

This week I read again from Isaiah 50.  In verse 2 God asks, "Was my arm to short to ransom you? Do I lack the strength?"  I began to realize how much my lack of confidence is an offense to God. It displays mistrust. That behaviour is, as he states in verse 11,   like providing yourselves with flaming torches and walking by the light of your own fires....instead of His.  And....I am so ashamed. "who of you by worrying can add a single hour to your life" (Matt.6:27 NIV)  Lord, forgive me for my unbelief.

And then Psalm 50 comes to mind...."the cattle on a thousand hills" (10) ...."call on me in the day of trouble, and I will deliver you..." (13).   God knows every bird, as we say in the liturgy, "...is the owner of all things." (12) ...."Ask and it will be given to you....for everyone who asks receives." (Mat.7:7-8) I have reoriented myself once again and am confident in God's love and provision.  My prayer for myself....and for others who have observed my struggle these last few weeks, is that we will retain that confidence the next time when trouble comes....as it surly will.  Amen

No comments: