Friday, June 20, 2008

Jerusalem Day 7, June 20

Today was pretty quiet for us. We decided to head in through the Jaffa Gate and return to the Wall, this time to pray for the Pacific Coast Common Cause Churches and the ACiC Congregations. Actually we went back to the Jewish Quarter twice. There is something about the Old City that just seems to draw us back in. Early Friday afternoon is a good time to go to the Wall...before the Shabbat rush. It was interesting to see all the shops begin to shut down for both the Moslem & Jewish Sabbath. All the Jewish families preparing for their Shabbat meal....the phylacteries & yarmulkas became more evident, the clothing less casual. We also had lunch with George and Manya at a restuarant in the Jewish Quarter, before Manya headed off for the Friday Stations of the Cross.

We have looked at many things in the Suk over the last seven days and decided today to do a good portion of our shopping for gifts. They always seem to tell you 250NIS ($80) no matter what you want to buy, and you can start at 1/4 of the price they ask. Today I listened carefully to this guy, gave him a price and then when it was refused, walked away. It was the first time I hadn't been pursued down the street and I wondered if I had gone too low. However, when we walked past an hour later he came out and gave me the price I had quoted. It's too bad we don't do this in Canada. Once you learn the system, it is a lot of fun!

We have been in the habit of finishing our day with a smoothy in the garden at Christ Church. It is wonderfully cool and an oasis of peace in the midst of all the frenetic activity that surrounds it. Psalm 131 comes to mind as we sit here. My heart is not proud, O LORD, my eyes are not haughty; I do not concern myself with great matters or things too wonderful for me. But I have stilled and quieted my soul; like a weaned child with its mother, like a weaned child is my soul within me. O Israel, put your hope in the LORD both now and forevermore. (NIV) We have stilled and quieted our souls in preparation for the events of the GAFCON week to come. The media feeding frenzy has already begun, and I am a little hesitant to wade into the midst of it, but have been called here for a purpose. Would you please pray for us that the peace this Psalm speaks of will reside in our hearts, and that we will be led by the Holy Spirit to righteous and insightful leadership in this time of great turmoil and transition. Here is another of Moshe Berger's Psalm pictures that depicts that passage.




No comments: